Kitchen Cornice

Ask your kitchen related question here
PRS Shaunz

Kitchen Cornice

Post by PRS Shaunz » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:05 pm

Hello Shannon I'm actually installing some kitchen cornice soon ( I watched your video regarding this) its my 1st time doing this can I ask when you cut you 45 degree mitre do you lay the piece on the saw the same as you showed for the straight cut with the cleat down against the back of the saw then adjust the saw to 45 degrees to complete the cut hope that makes sense thanks Paul great videos by

A. Spruce

Re: Kitchen Cornice

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:44 pm

The easiest way to figure out your cuts is to cut sample blocks of both an inside and an outside corner. You want the material to be fully supported by the saw, which means that it may be upside down and backwards to accomplish the cut. DO NOT put the cleat against the fence with the crown unsupported, the saw will catch and pull the molding and you into the blade.

When it is time to make your actual cuts, simply set the appropriate sample block in the saw to know how to orient the material properly.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

PRS Shaunz

Post by PRS Shaunz » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi thanks for the tip I've done mitres before think what's confusing me is the actual shape of the cornice the type i'm using is in one of Shannons videos which has the cleat attached he actually cuts one part at 45 suppose its the return cut that's throwing I'll have a go thanks for taking the time

Paul

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:49 pm

Actually that is how I cut a crown that is one piece with the cleat included and not much more than 2" high. Cleat flat on the table of the saw and tight to the fence.A nice slow controlled cut through the crown with the saw and a sharp blade are key. If you watch at the 12:40 mark I believe you can kind of see me cut a mitre.
If you want to cut it differently or do not feel safe with this you can rip a 1x4 or piece of 3/4" ply wood to the proper height that you can support the cleat with the crown upside down. the 1x4 goes tight against the fence and the crown lays upside down with the cleat on top of the 1x4.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

PRS Shaunz

Post by PRS Shaunz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:07 am

Hi Shannon thanks for replying I'll give that a go many thanks Paul and keep the video's going I have learnt so much from them.

Paul