Removng Sharp Corners on Island Countertop

Ask your kitchen related question here
Thrasher

Removng Sharp Corners on Island Countertop

Post by Thrasher » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:19 am

We have just recently replaced our previous island countertop with this one. We also have a roll of laminate to finish the raw edge but would first like to know if it is possible to either round out the sharp corners on a radius or just cut them out leaving a slant with 2 smooth corners in place of each sharp corner.
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG (478.59 KiB) Viewed 424 times
We also need help with adhering the laminate with either method. We have a jig Saw and have also just purchased a router which we are still in the learning phase of using. Your help would be appeciated!

Shannon

Re: Removng Sharp Corners on Island Countertop

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:50 am

So either option would work. Unfortunately the limited tools you have are not to helpful for this.

You could round the corner using a belt sander by marking out the radius you would like ( I would suggest nothing smaller then 2" radius) on the counter and using the sander to slowly sand the counter to that mark. You have to be really careful that you are holding the sander straight to the counters edge so that it ends up square or the laminate you wrap around it will not work out well. You then would cut a strip of the laminate about 1/2" wider then you need and an inch longer . Use contact adhesive to glue it to the end of the counter . Next you would use a small laminate router to trim the excess laminate off form the edges. And finally use a file to finish the edges perfectly flush and also make the edges less sharp.

The easier option is to cut the corner off on a 45 degree angle using a circular saw. You would cut it with the counter upside down and use a blade with about 40 teeth if possible. You then need some strips of the laminate just like I described above. You would also cut them to the apron. lengths you need and attach,router and file.

These are both tricky and because of the high possibility of damaging the new counter I would suggest hiring a pro to come in and do it for you.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:19 pm

Yeah honestly if it were me I would live with the 90 degree edge, or hire a pro. Bending laminate is no joke.

Thrasher

Post by Thrasher » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:46 am

Thanks so much! We have decided not to chance it.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:16 am

Good call. You saved time, money, and risk!