30 year old vinyl removal.

Ask your kitchen related question here
DennisB

30 year old vinyl removal.

Post by DennisB » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:44 am

I am going to install plank vinyl flooring. The old vinyl was glued down and when I try to pull it up it breaks off into small pieces, 4 to 6 inch pieces and the paper under the top layer sticks to the subfloor. Is there a way to pull the old vinyl up in bigger pieces with the paper intack?

Aaron

Re: 30 year old vinyl removal.

Post by Aaron » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:35 pm

Maybe try heat gun?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:51 pm

If it is installed on top of a thin dub floor material then I would cut it into strips and remove be the entire layer. Another option may be to install the new floor right over the old?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

DennisB

Post by DennisB » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:15 am

Thanks Shannon. I found that warming the vinyl with a hair dryer helps a little though much of the paper remains in place. I soak the paper with water and scrape it with a small sheetrock knife. That helps some but It's a long process. Thanks again.

Henry29

Post by Henry29 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:17 pm

DennisB wrote:Thanks Shannon. I found that warming the vinyl with a hair dryer helps a little though much of the paper remains in place. I soak the paper with water and scrape it with a small sheetrock knife. That helps some but It's a long process. Thanks again.
I'm dealing with this myself, Use a floor scrapper and heat area's and scrap. Lots of manual work is involved, then there's the adhesive.

I'm planning on using a multi-tool with scrapper but I'm guessing a grinder with a steel pad might work too.

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:34 am

If you can get a helper, having someone ahead of the scraper with a heat gun is the easiest way I've found. Try t get it all as you go but if you find a smaller stubborn spot or two, leave it and keep the workflow going and deal with those at the end. With a bit of trial-and-error you'll discover how much heat you need and how big of an area you can work before it cools. One person can do both but that takes more concentration and coordination than I can manage efficiently. Two things to watch for is burning the vinyl, and burning yourself with the hot vinyl. Oh, and a long-handled floor scraper can make a huge difference in ease of work.

Phil