Question regarding subfloor for engineered flooring

Ask your kitchen related question here
Henry29

Question regarding subfloor for engineered flooring

Post by Henry29 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:46 am

Hi,

I'm taking on a project in the coming weeks that will be either Engineered flooring or real hardwood flooring in the kitchen. I'm removing all the old flooring now and have questions.

Seems the layers look like this

-Laminate flooring
-underlayment
-stick on tile's
-linoleum
-1/8" plywood
-OSB subfloor

I wanted to strip everything right to the subfloor and start fresh, I'm concerned about the 1/8 plywood as the cabinets are installed already.

Should I just use a Multi-tool and cut around the cabinets or remove the cabinets and rip everything up.

I'm just a little lost right now.

any help would be great.

thank you :D

Shannon

Re: Question regarding subfloor for engineered flooring

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:43 am

For sure the best thing to do is use the multi tool and cut around the cabinet bases. Be sure not to cut through the actual sub floor (OSB) . Scoring it a bit is no big deal but you do not want to cut through it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Henry29

Post by Henry29 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:06 pm

Shannon wrote:For sure the best thing to do is use the multi tool and cut around the cabinet bases. Be sure not to cut through the actual sub floor (OSB) . Scoring it a bit is no big deal but you do not want to cut through it.
Hi Shannon.

Thanks for the reply 8-)

If you were hired on installing a floor would you be rip everything out to the subfloor or lay the new flooring over-top the stick-on tiles.

Its really sturdy with a few squeaks and but I didn't realize how much work is evolved thought I would ask a pro and get his advice.

it's either real hardwood or Engineer Hardwood.

thanks

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:08 am

I would be ripping it down to the sub flooring then adding a layer to thicken it up to 1" minimum and then the new flooring.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon