Good sources for Crown moulding on Kitchen cabinets

Ask your kitchen related question here
Henry29

Good sources for Crown moulding on Kitchen cabinets

Post by Henry29 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:54 am

Hi,

I recently watched this video and need help on getting crown moulding for our kitchen, I haven't had much luck at Home hardware and Home depot is useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VAYQCI ... 5710497077

I asked on the video and Shannon said to join the message board. So where is a good source the public/DIY can visit for getting crown.

Also would they match my cabinet stain, it's a burgundy.

thank you

Aaron

Re: Good sources for Crown moulding on Kitchen cabinets

Post by Aaron » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:11 pm

I'm not sure there's a special moulding for cabinets--I think it's the same stuff you use for the wall/ceiling. But you should get one that ideally matches the wood of your cabinets. If the big box stores failed to have any good selection for you, try looking for a specialty wood store.

After you've matched the wood (or gotten a type of closely-matching wood), take off a cabinet door and bring it with you to a local paint/stain store and see if they can help you match a stain and finish to apply to the moulding.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:55 am

Depending on the crown you have there are some that are made for cabinetry , they will have the cleat already attached or actually be one piece crowns with the crown and cleat all made as one. Cabinetry speciality suppliers like Richelieu carry some and even checking with local cabinet shops can yield good results I am really surprised that your local Home Hardware building centre or Home depot did not have anything as most lumber yards will have a limited selection or be able to get some.Alternatively a search online may come up with a supplier who you can order from? Be sure to have some good detailed pictures and measurements with you of any existing crown you are trying to match to for getting the right style.If you have no crown at all then you have more flexibility obviously to choose what you want.
As for colour matching that can be a different storey. If you know exactly the stain colour and product you may be able to finish the new crown on your own? Most manufactured cabinets may have a colour name like "cherry" or "plum" that can be found on stain cans off the shelf but usually those colours are just their own variation and have been custom mixed for them. So unless you know where the cabs where made and can get their colour you may have to take a sample and your trim to a person who can do custom tinting of stains to try and achieve the colour you are looking for .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Henry29

Post by Henry29 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Shannon wrote:Depending on the crown you have there are some that are made for cabinetry , they will have the...
Hi, we have a nice home hardware here but they don't always want to help looking in there binders finding things.

They just want to keep pushing MDF moldings for example, needed to buy crown moulding and wanted real wood but didn't really help.

I don't have much info on the company that made the cabinets, we bought them years ago from Home depot when they had the truck event. Before they started selling the cheap white cabinets or the ones you need to stain.

I still have a 15" upper in the box that I haven't installed yet, There's some info but can't find a company.

After searching Google, Richelieu sells moulding but I can't get a price, I'm not a business or Designer :roll:

https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/categor ... K15016411#

I will visit a paint store about the stain too.

Are you for hire ever? are you based in Ontario too.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:24 am

He's in Sask.

Dragon32

Post by Dragon32 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:00 am

Nice!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:06 am

Henry29 wrote:Hi, we have a nice home hardware here but they don't always want to help looking in there binders finding things. They just want to keep pushing MDF moldings for example, needed to buy crown moulding and wanted real wood but didn't really help...
There are no other lumber stores or cabinet retailers in your area? Check on line and see what you can find, the shipping my be a killer though for that.
I'm not in the Ontario area,sorry.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

marydoolette

Post by marydoolette » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:49 am

nice