moisture barrier behind kitchen walls

Ask your kitchen related question here
Teich7719

moisture barrier behind kitchen walls

Post by Teich7719 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:55 pm

The kitchen was gutted and rotting wood was found above the window over the sink
and in a corner wall at the bottom.

Home tested positive for a toxic mold and treatment was sought. However when kitchen cabinets
were torn off of the wall, it was discovered a plastic barrier was taped to the interior walls and sealed.

I am told this is a recipe for the development of mold. WITHOUT removing the outside siding and
installing Tyvek, what kind of moisture barrier is best for interior walls to prevent future instances of
rotting wood and mold. I would like to get the drywall in place but I am uncertain how to proceed.

Shannon

Re: moisture barrier behind kitchen walls

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:00 pm

The plastic air/vapour barrier is required on the warm side of all exterior walls and ceilings. It should be well sealed at all joints and penetrations like electrical boxes and windows.
the rot you found over the window was more then likely from a roof or wall leak .That should be investigated and resolved as well. If this is a single storey building and the roof is right above that area then I would suspect a roof leak. If you have had roofing replaced recently then what you found may be an old leak that is not leaking any more but it is difficult to say for sure.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Mickosh

Re: moisture on the inside of vapor barrier creating chip board to sweat and start to rot

Post by Mickosh » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:07 pm

I pulled of the staples from the V barrier and it has helped . the prob is happening during cold months and hot humi summer days t wet he out side of the walls should be more protected? im not sur e of a easy remedy to stop the moisture. the base ment is craw space there is not a concrete or brick wall. ther is tar paper on outer wall on one side but not on others . the vapor poly is not stapled and behind the fiberglass batts the chip board is wet or moist but not everywhere

Shannon

Re: moisture barrier behind kitchen walls

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:27 pm

I still think your problem is from the roof or outside.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon