Replace Laminate Floor Board

Ask your kitchen related question here
katie_stokes

Replace Laminate Floor Board

Post by katie_stokes » Tue May 02, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi all!

I have a question about replacing a piece of my laminate flooring. So, backstory, my husband recently knocked a glass bottle off the top of the refrigerator (learned our lesson not to keep things like that up there!) and instead of shattering when it hit the floor, it landed directly on its top and was perfectly fine. The floor didn’t quite have the same outcome. So we now have a perfect semi-circle dent in one of the laminate boards. It’s not too bad, but I’d still like to fix it because I notice it every time I step into the kitchen now.

Anyway, we did not install the flooring--it’s pretty new but was here before we got here--so I’m not sure if it’s just snapped into place or if it was glued as well. I’m going to continue this post under the assumption that it’s not glued together. So, all of the DIY information I’ve found online is either for replacing a piece in the middle of the room or for working with real wood floors.

The dented piece in our kitchen touches the wall, so I imagine it’ll be easier to replace than if it were in the middle of the room, but the piece that touches the wall is the plank’s short end, not it’s whole length, so I can’t just take the molding off and wiggle it out. What’s my best bet?

Thanks in advance!
Katie
Attachments
KitchenDent.jpg
Illustration of the dent
KitchenDent.jpg (56.49 KiB) Viewed 476 times

A. Spruce

Re: Replace Laminate Floor Board

Post by A. Spruce » Tue May 02, 2017 12:37 pm

First, is there any extra pieces of the existing flooring stashed somewhere? If so, then you may be able to get a reasonable patch to put in place, if not, then you'll go from a little indentation to a sore thumb of mismatched flooring. When flooring is installed, it all comes from one lot of product, so it all matches. Assuming you can even find the same product today, it will be a different color, which is why you need to find a piece of the original flooring for the patch.

If you are well versed in floor repair or wood working, then this is something you can likely do yourself, otherwise, it will be best to hire a professional for the job for the best results. Again, you don't want to turn a hardly noticeable dent into a sore thumb.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

katie_stokes

Post by katie_stokes » Tue May 02, 2017 12:51 pm

That's fair. I do think there are extra pieces stashed somewhere, I just need to find them. Is it really that hard to do by yourself though? I'm pretty handy, I grew up with a dad who was a carpenter/woodshop teacher. And there are quite a few guides online that make it seem like a doable DIY.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue May 02, 2017 1:23 pm

If you feel you have the skills to do the job, then by all means go for it. The key here is to have a game plan before you start and to work slowly and carefully. Hopefully you can find some leftover flooring in its original packaging so that you can find the installation instructions for the product, this will help you figure out how to best go about the repair.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue May 02, 2017 7:24 pm

katie_stokes wrote:Hi all! I have a question about replacing a piece of my laminate flooring...
So laminate floor pieces are interlocked together as the floor is assembled so to remove and replace one means disassembling the floor back to that point and putting in the new one . You can then re assemble. Keep your pieces ordered as you remove them so the re install goes smooth.
I agree with Spruce I hope you have a piece from the original installation to get a really good colour match.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue May 02, 2017 7:25 pm

Here is a video that may help you.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9iVCZaig0M
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon