Sink base cabinet question

Ask your kitchen related question here
Brandan1

Sink base cabinet question

Post by Brandan1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:27 pm

So ill start with saying i purchased some menards cabinets for the price. I realize now you get what you pay for.
The problem im having with the sink base is that i can get the middle of the base level front and back also the middle left to right.
But for some reason the top of the left and right side are showing different then the middle. Also the face is not plumb.
If i get one thing level or plumb it just throws off another.
Everything on top seems very flush so in theory i should be able to just shim until top sides and front are plumb and level but this just isnt the case :/
Please help and thank you in advance
P.s. i watched your kitchen cabinet install video but your cabinets look much better built and you made it look too easy :D

A. Spruce

Re: Sink base cabinet question

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Many times it's a matter of splitting differences OR making what counts true. In this case, the top of the cabinet needs to be reasonably level for the counter top to fit properly, though, I'll warn you, if you buy a premade Formica top, it's going to be bowed from front to back and from end to end, just the way of mass produced products these days. The other thing is that the face frames need to line up reasonably level and faces flush.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:09 pm

Yup get the row of cabinets level across the length of the wall, that is most important. Next the faces need to be pretty much as flush as possible to each other. In many cases getting the cabinet faces to be plumb is not really as important as them just being true to each other ,with in reason.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:45 am

I take a different approach. You see the faces so they must line up well for the entire run- I tie them together first, then set in place temporarily to determine what else needs to be dealt with. Level front to back is critical, not so much side-to-side. A straight line across the front both for projection and horizontally is also critical. Shim the backs as needed for a tight countertop fit.

Darn few houses are flat and level, and the older the house the worse this will be. Best appearance is to follow the house, not the level, across the run. Anything more than about 1/4" variation across the floor will be very visible at the toe-kick. Ditto for the wall line which simply follows along with the front if you level front to back. Another advantage here is that if a sagging floor develops and is fixed later, the cabinets will still be right because they stay with the floor.

Remember that if it looks good, works good, and stays that way there can't be much wrong with it. Straight and square are what you see, level and plumb you don't.

Phil

Brandan1

Post by Brandan1 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Thank you all for your input i really appreciate it.