Making countertops

Ask your kitchen related question here
Invest777

Making countertops

Post by Invest777 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Hi Shannon , I'm probably somewhat of your above average d.i.yer, I was wanting to know how hard is it to make countertops, I saw other videos on you tube and it looks very simple and easy, I'm somewhat getting excited , cause I want to save some money, whether than going to a manufacturer and buying premade. And my situation I got a u shape cabinet outline, and want to install tile on the top of the wood, what will you rate this type of job, and what materials and tools you'll think I will need, and I like your shower install video. Thanks alot .

Shannon

Re: Making countertops

Post by Shannon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:28 pm

So it sounds like you are wanting to build a tiled top counter . If that is correct I would advise against it. They can look very nice but in my experience I have replaced a fair few and pretty much everyone of them was a breeding ground for fungus . The grout lines are difficult to maintain and it can absorb moisture from spilled raw meats and different things that you do not want to have difficulty cleaning up. Dropping dishes ,cans, and the like can damage the tiles r cause them to loosen. I really would recommend against a tiled counter.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Invest777

Post by Invest777 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:35 pm

What about a laminate countertop, I found this website that sells the sheets and also the bevel edges for a nicely clean look, do you think is a d.i.yer job?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:35 pm

I think someone like yourself could handle this absolutely ! The beveled edges are a nice touch and make it look like a pro did it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

PittAndy

Post by PittAndy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:11 am

Recently I had install Granite countertop in my kitchen, They glossy finish of this natural stone look marvelous. I think you should go for granite as it more durable and cheap. Along with these I have installed backslash below the wall cabinets it looks great with granite contertops.