Type of plywood

Ask your kitchen related question here
Invest777

Type of plywood

Post by Invest777 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:18 am

Hi, Shannon, Im ready to try to build my own kitchen countertop,if your knowledgable about this, I was wanting to know, what type of grade plywood should i use for the countertop if there are different grades,thanks in advance shannon

Shannon

Re: Type of plywood

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:24 am

You will want to use a (G1S) "good one side" 3/4" plywood. basically that means that it has been sanded smooth on one side. I like to build them two layers thick, the top layer is completely solid obviously and them I cut 3" wide strips that I glue and nail to the perimeter of that solid piece, as well as a few through the middle area for support. This gives you a top that is approx 1-1/2" thick. Use a belt sander to sand the edges that will also be covered with plastic laminate flush to each other. Good luck.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:43 pm

Boy it would be nice to have a "How To Make Kitchen Countertops" video.... ;)

Invest777

Post by Invest777 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi Shannon , I got somewhat of an issue , and want your professional advice, with making these countertop I realize my counter on my long wall got to be 10' long , and I can't find plywood that long, so working with a 2 -8'x4' pieces of plywood, with my cabinet layout is approx. 4'x10'x6' so I was thinking about making just one big countertop, that will have a joint where the sink will be place, and the joint , I will try to get it as tight as possible, due to the usage of water that will be in that area, and majority of the joint will be cover by the sink,bevel edge , and backlash, Home Depot told me a contractor will not do it that way, but due to limited length of plywood and big cabinet layout ,thats my only solution, and i want to do it on a professional level, any advice, any issues you see with doing it my way. Thanks shannon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:39 am

I would make the joint in your laminate at the sink for sure. The joint in your plywood however I would not have there because of weakness issues.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Invest777

Post by Invest777 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:42 am

Ok if I don't do the plywood joint at the sink , I was thinking that I might need to fill that joint with something then sand it, and I'm not sure if it would be even with the other wood , so I won't show visually on the finish product, your thoughts.thanks

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:53 am

You can fill it with spackle ( wall repair compound or wood filler) and sand , but if the joint is pretty tight and flush then leave it alone. Sanding to much can cause problems as well cause the surface gets wavy.