Choosing the right countertop

Ask your kitchen related question here
Empower

Choosing the right countertop

Post by Empower » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:13 am

Hey, I haven’t seen this issue discussed. We are renovating our kitchen, readying the house for sale and figure we should change the countertop as it shows wear n tear. Wondering what to choose as a replacement? Granite would be nice but pricey whereas many laminates appear cheap. Any thoughts?

Shannon

Re: Choosing the right countertop

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:33 am

Unless you have installed new modern cabinets I would not spend the money on granite when selling. Yes it looks great but the cost is high and if the new owners decide to replace cabinets and change the layout those counters are not likely going to work for them in the new layout. There are many laminates that look like stone and the prices here are at least 1/3 the cost of granite or quartz .Stop by a counter top supplier to have a look at options and costs but IMO laminate is a good choice when reselling.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:56 pm

If this were your house to live in for a number of years, then stone and cultured products are absolutely great choices. Because you are selling the house, you will NEVER recoup the cost of stone or cultured products, so it doesn't make financial sense (in addition to Shannon's points ) to spend the money on such things.

Stick to a basic laminate top, you can buy premade, off-the-shelf tops and install them yourself at a very reasonable price. The aesthetic improvement will absolutely result in a prettier kitchen and faster sale, both of which equal a return on your investment.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Empower

Post by Empower » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:06 am

Great advice! Will do. Thanks.

allwin

Post by allwin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:19 am

Yes, i agree with the Shannon, like your are renovating your kitchen with granite and if your new owner dont want granite and they change it, so costing of your renovation are pointless. so you can go with another cheap options like Imo Laminate or Wooden Countertop.

Maxene

Post by Maxene » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:23 am

The best thing to do is determine what your goals are, and consider if laminate counters are best for your home!

ronan01

Post by ronan01 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:43 am

The best option for you is to go with a cheap but an elegant looking material like wooden countertop for you, as your buyer will choose your house with its appearances and will not pay attention to such minor details. Good luck

Entans

Post by Entans » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:51 am

I missed any bad reports about Ikea countertop material, but I put Ikea oak countertops in parts of a kitchen two years ago, and it worked out fine.

I strongly recommend using wood in a kitchen only away from water. There is no wood finish which will keep standing water from damaging the wood. For the counter near the sink, use something more waterproof. For instance, on that kitchen with the Ikea wood, there was slab granite in the area near the sink, and wood on two other counters. The kitchen happened to have three counters, so this arrangement worked nicely.

Laminating solid wood to plywood as you've suggested is a very bad idea. The solid will try to expand and contract, and the plywood won't. The difference will either break the bond with the plywood, or it will make the counter try to hump and down in the middle.
Life is short. The sooner a man begins to enjoy his wealth the better.
All the best,Best Garage Door Insulation Kit