Water Heater Anode

Ask your kitchen related question here
jcovello

Water Heater Anode

Post by jcovello » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:15 pm

First, I want to thank you for posting your videos to Youtube (Specifically the one a about the water heater anode rod :D ) And thanks your quick reply to my comment.

I am posting my experience both looking for advise and in the hope that it may help someone else.

This all started when I began noticing white flakes clogging one of my shower heads, then some faucets and then the hot water valve in the washing machine. I thought it may have something to do with a new water meter installed by the city. After realizing it seemed to be on happening on the hot water side I did some research on the net and came to the conclusion it must be the Anode rod in my water heater. The water heater is a 40 gal Rheem electric and at least 15 years old but seems to be doing a fairly good job, short of the anode rod so the questions I have for the forum are:

1- Being 15+ years old does it pay to change the Rod vs installing a new water heater. I guess the real question would there be a significant amount of rust already eating away the tank and are the new water heaters significantly more efficient than the older ones?

2- I have been putting WD 40 on the nut every day. Have you heard of anyone damaging the tank due to its age when trying to remove the rod? My plan is to use an impact wrench and 1 1/16 inch 12 point socket (I really don't want to spend 25 bucks for a new 6 point one) to remove the old rod.

3- If I do decide install a new water heater should I put in a water heater tray even though one is not required by code (It is on the first floor no basement with ceramic tile)

4 - Are there any tips on flushing the white anode flakes out of the system.

I know I threw quite a few questions in here so any tips or things to watch out for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Shannon

Re: Water Heater Anode

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi "jcovello" I will try to answer your questions

#1 I'm afraid I don't know to much about that specific water heater but some electrics have stainless steal tanks and can last almost for ever but being 15 years old there are 4sure more efficient ones available today! You could always change the anode rod (cause it is cheeper than a new tank) and add a try under it as well just in case.

#2 I have seen tanks damaged (usually the pipes hooking up the tank) from people struggling to get that old anode out.You may need someone else bear hugging the tank to hold it steady.Try not to use the plumbing for leverage. I have never seen anyone use an impact driver, probably not a bad Idea but i'm not sure? I like a strong arm breaker bar with a long handle.

#3 For sure, you should add a pan either way and hopefully get it to drain to a floor drain.

#4 Well all you can really do is change the rod then flush your tank a few times.Then maybe try removing the screens on your faucets if they have them and run the water to flush the lines,clean the screens and reinstall them.

Hope some of this helps you out or that someone on here more famillier with your heater can add some more insight.Thanks
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jcovello

Re: Water Heater Anode

Post by jcovello » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks again for the tips, I will post the outcome.