Vinyl floor in the kitchen

Ask your kitchen related question here
cng2618

Vinyl floor in the kitchen

Post by cng2618 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:40 pm

Hello Shannon,

I am a new here. Thanks for all your video clips for hardwood floor installation. I have learned a lot.
I would like to ask you a question.
My dinning area is Vinyl floor connecting with my family room is a carpet. If I remove carpet from family room and Vinyl from dinning room, then there is an additional plywood on my dinning room, right?
Can you advise me how to remove the additional wood in the dinning room to make it even with my family room?
Thanks for help
-Ken ng

A. Spruce

Re: Vinyl floor in the kitchen

Post by A. Spruce » Tue May 01, 2018 2:53 pm

There may or may not be a difference in level between the two floors, unless you've already peeled back the carpet and know this to be true. Underlayment serves two purposes, it smooths uneven floors for the application of vinyl, it also helps seal the subfloor from drafts, so it's pretty common to see it under carpet as well, particularly in older homes with dimensional lumber subfloors. If your home has a plywood/OSB subfloor, then you probably won't have underlament under the carpet.

Removing sheet vinyl usually entails removal of the underlayment at the same time, simply because you can't separate the two, it's easier to just pull them both together. A flat bar and hammer will get you there, a larger crowbar would be helpful too.

How you prep the subfloor will depend on what kind of flooring you're putting down and where the flooring will be going.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

cng2618

Post by cng2618 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi Spruce,
Thanks for your quick response. I actually haven't peeled the carpet yet, because people told me if I want to install Prefinished Hardwood Floor on your dinning and family room, you have to remove the carpet and sheet vinyl including a additional plywood under neat sheet vinyl, so that your family and dining is even. If my dinning room doesn't have additional plywood, so it is great and I don't need to remove that plywood. If my dinning room have an additional plywood, so I will have to remove. In the worst case, How to remove the additional plywood in the dinning room?
Thanks

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue May 01, 2018 3:38 pm

Can you post some pictures? Take one of the vinyl area and at the carpet/vinyl transition. Post it directly by using the attachment feature below the post box

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue May 01, 2018 7:15 pm

As spruce said removing the extra underlayment (plywood) will happen when you remove the vinyl. In most cases you really do not want the cheap particle board underlayment under hardwood floor anyways.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

cng2618

Post by cng2618 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:15 am

Thank you Gentlemen.
As Spruce requested the pictures, please see the attachments.

I saw a youtube, people used circular saw to cut small piece by piece in the dinning room to remove underlayment Plywood to make dinning room and family room is the same level before installing Hardwood Floor. I am not sure does my dinning room have extra underlayment plywood (under sheet Vinyl) or not?

Regards,
-Ken
Attachments
IMG_2586.JPG
my pict2
IMG_2586.JPG (70.14 KiB) Viewed 804 times
IMG_2585.JPG
my pict1
IMG_2585.JPG (68.27 KiB) Viewed 804 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed May 02, 2018 9:35 am

Looks to me like the surface of the carpet is about the same height as the surface of the vinyl, which indicates to me that there is no underlayment under the carpet.

Removing the vinyl is MUCH easier if you score the floor with a saw to make smaller pieces. It is imperative that you use eye, ear, and dust protection when doing this because the carbide teeth of the blade can break off when you hit the fasteners, and, it's very loud and dusty! Set your saw depth just shy of the total vinyl+underlayment thickness and cut a cross pattern so that the pieces are 1' to 2' square, then work your prybar under and pop them up. Both the cutting and the removal will create a lot of dust, so you may want to seal off the area to keep it contained. You can open windows with a fan for cross ventilation or tape cheap mesh furnace filters to both sides of a box fan to help pull the dust out of the air.

When working in the toe-kick of the cabinets an oscillating saw will aid in cutting the underlayment at the face of the toe-kick, should the underlayment extend under the cabinets. You can also use a good, sharp chisel to cut the underlayment at the face of the toe-kick.

cng2618

Post by cng2618 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:49 am

Do I need to remove the sheet vinyl first before cutting the underlayment (plywood)?
Thanks for your advice

-ken

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed May 02, 2018 9:54 am

Nope! Separating the two is virtually impossible, hence why you pull both at the same time. Simple score the floor with your saw as described above and remove the pieces.

Tip: Use a carbide blade and designate this blade as a "floor" blade, it is going to dull quickly and the teeth are going to chip, you're not going to be able to use it for anything but floor removal. You will need to install a new blade before cutting anything else, but can return to the "floor" blade as necessary if you have other areas to remove at a later time.

cng2618

Post by cng2618 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:11 am

Very great and helpful advice. I am very happy with all your responses :) :)

-ken

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed May 02, 2018 10:31 am

No problem. 8-)

Maxene

Post by Maxene » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:08 am

Well, vinyl flooring is a good choice for kitchens.

davidpgroh

Post by davidpgroh » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:16 pm

I am preparing to install Vinyl Planking in my kitchen. I have vinyl tiles that exist. I would leave the old tiles but I have a problem with height, as I have two steel doors to deal with. I have been removing the existing tiles but there is old glue on the sub floor. Is it correct that I have to remove the glue to allow the vinyl planking to be able to move. If the glue has to be removed, what do you suggest I do? Please help.

Neil007

Post by Neil007 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:31 pm

davidpgroh wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:16 pm
I am preparing to install Vinyl Planking in my kitchen. I have vinyl tiles that exist. I would leave the old tiles but I have a problem with height, as I have two steel doors to deal with. I have been removing the existing tiles but there is old glue on the sub floor. Is it correct that I have to remove the glue to allow the vinyl planking to be able to move. If the glue has to be removed, what do you suggest I do? Please help.
The old glue should be cured so it won't cause a problem that way. But it can be a pain for making floors level. You could try to use a belt sander to rip through the old glue to help level it off.

davidpgroh

Post by davidpgroh » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:58 pm

I will be using a floating floor underlayment called Quiet Walk.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:00 pm

The underlayment should act as a separation barrier to the glue, so I wouldn't worry about removing it, so long as it's not causing an irregular surface issue.

What is the mastic on, cement, underlayment? If on underlayment, it will be easier to replace the underlayment than to remove the glue. If over cement, you'll have to get a floor scraper, which is basically a long handled razor blade.

Onfayno

Post by Onfayno » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:57 pm

cng2618 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:15 am
Thank you Gentlemen.
As Spruce requested the pictures, please see the attachments.

I saw a youtube, people used circular saw to cut small piece by piece in the dinning room to remove underlayment Plywood to make dinning room and family room is the same level before installing Hardwood Floor. I am not sure does my dinning room have extra underlayment plywood (under sheet Vinyl) or not?

Regards,
-Ken
Nice floor!