removing undermount stainless steel sink

Ask your kitchen related question here
John V

removing undermount stainless steel sink

Post by John V » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:38 pm

I recently installed a granite countertop and stainless steel undermount sink. Sink is defective. How difficult will it be to remove the sink withoit damaging the granite counter. Sink is small enough to remove without lifting countertop back up.

A. Spruce

Re: Fridge Not Making Ice

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:49 pm

As long as the sink is not trapped between the cabinet and the countertop, you should be able to remove it without damage to the countertop. If the sink is trapped, then things are about to get difficult!

Assuming it's not trapped, there are probably some pinch type fasteners holding it to the bottom of the countertop, loosen/remove those fasteners, cut the caulking joint between sink and top and the sink should drop away.

Assuming the sink IS trapped, you'll either have to pull the counter top or cut around the sink from underneath to free it. Problem here is, reattaching the new sink. You may need to consult with a stone company and have them install some threaded inserts so that you will be able to attach the new sink to the countertop. The way around this would be to use a self rimming sink and install from the top, that is, if the existing hold isn't too large.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: removing undermount stainless steel sink

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:08 am

I have never done it but I have seen sinks mounted by removing the drains and using a couple of pieces of 2x4 to hold the sink in place while the epoxy dries. They run one under the sink bottom and one across the top of the countertop hole then run wire through the drain holes wrapped around the 2x4s and tightened.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

demetriualston

Post by demetriualston » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:01 am

I think it is difficult, but you hire an expert for removing the sink.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:23 am

demetriualston wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:01 am
I think it is difficult, but you hire an expert for removing the sink.
Is this how you earn $$$$$ just sitting at home, surfing the net :lol:

Geeez... I've been DIYing my whole life. Guess all this time I could have just had someone do it for me

Doh !
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~