Counters - Formica (overhang and edges)

Ask your kitchen related question here
Benzacko

Counters - Formica (overhang and edges)

Post by Benzacko » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi Shannon. I love your videos and work. Thank you for putting these great resources together for DIY people. I have 2 questions concerning laminate counters.

1. How much of an over hang can I do using the 11/16 particle board like you did in your video? I would like to be able to extend 8 to 10 inches on one side so the kids can sit and do homework and such. In doing that should I switch over to plywood for more strength? I'm assuming I would double the plywood a little deeper back rather than just doubling at the edges.

2. Stupid question... My current top has 2 interior 45 degree angles. I'm not sure how to say that. When standing in the kitchen, the counter kind of wraps around you. Do I do those cuts similar to how you showed on the video, but reversed? Not sure if that makes sense.

I think that is all. Thank you again!
Ben O.

A. Spruce

Re: Counters - Formica (overhang and edges)

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:07 pm

I would say that you could extend up to 12" of overhang, but I would support the overhang with corbels, regardless of using plywood or sticking with particle board. Another support method would be to use iron straps or 1x boards cantilevered over the cabinet to help support the overhang. A hardwood that is more rigid would be the best choice.

What you're describing sounds like a U shaped kitchen, pretty typical. Yes, the inside corners are usually 45* angles, joined with countertop clamps to help hold the joint together. These are VERY difficult to cut accurately and cleanly, your best bet is to rough cut it with a saw, then use a router and straight edge to get a perfect mating surface. The joint is then glued and clamped.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:17 pm

A 8” over hang would be no problem with the particle board doubled up for the entire over hang plus 4-5” over the cupboard also.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Benzacko

Post by Benzacko » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:03 pm

Thank you both.