Sink bigger than vanity?

Ask your kitchen related question here
hoffmannr

Sink bigger than vanity?

Post by hoffmannr » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:14 pm

We have a sink, and a separate vanity. The edges of the sink overlap and extend past the edges of the vanity. We are planning to have the countertop sit underneath the edges of the sink, in so that the sink will be higher than the countertop rather than beneath it. Is this okay to do, or is it better to cut the sides of the vanity so that the sink will sit comfortably inside of it? Or are there any better ideas?
Attachments
20180627_185201.jpg
20180627_185201.jpg (61.98 KiB) Viewed 340 times
20180627_185145.jpg
20180627_185145.jpg (62.79 KiB) Viewed 340 times

A. Spruce

Re: Sink bigger than vanity?

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:50 pm

I'm not exactly sure what your question is here. You have a self rimming sink, designed for surface mounting, and by the looks of the pics, the sink fits inside the cabinet just fine, which means you size the countertop at least a little larger than the outer diameter of the sink to give the sink something to seal against. Typically, counters hang about 1" forward of the face of the cabinet and can be anywhere from flush to several inches of overhang on the sides, depending on the space the cabinet is placed.

That leaves cutting hole in the countertop for the sink to be placed, which will be 1/2" to 3/4" smaller than the diameter of the sink. There should be some hold down grooves on the underside of the sink, cut the countertop hole just larger than these hold downs.

Because the sink is as large as it is, you won't be able to use any hold down clamps to keep the sink in place, therefore, you will need to caulk the lip of the sink, set it in place, then use a 5 gallon bucket of water to weight and hold the sink in place until the caulk fully cures.

Hopefully, this answers your questions, if not, let me know where what we need to clarify. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:06 am

Yes Spruce is correct here. You may however be able to get clamps on front and back of sink but the ends will not work for them.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

hoffmannr

Post by hoffmannr » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:44 pm

That answers my question perfectly. I've not much experience with sink placement, other than installing a few round sinks that we're smaller than the vanity. So I was not sure if I would indeed be able to install a sink larger than it's vanity. That is awesome news though! You guys are amazing. Thanks alot for the responses!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Your welcome and Good luck!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:38 pm

Glad to have helped. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.