Exhaust over island cooktop

Ask your kitchen related question here
svniron

Exhaust over island cooktop

Post by svniron » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:19 pm

I am putting a full kitchen in my basement . I would like to put a cooktop in the island. What is the requirement for exhaust for electric cooktops in Ontario. Is a downdraft system ok, or do I need an overhead exhaust with venting to the outside.

A. Spruce

Re: Exhaust over island cooktop

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:13 pm

Downdraft systems don't really work all that well. Heat, steam, and oil vapor rises, so for effective collection and exhaust you really need overhead collection. Now, if your space or design doesn't allow for that, then downdraft is better than nothing at all.

Recirculator "exhaust" systems also don't work all that well, they'll catch a little bit of the oil vapor, but they do nothing to dissipate smoke, vapor, and odor. Ideally, you want to vent to atmosphere (outside ), as it's the better way to go.

Your cooktop manufacturer may have specs on recommended exhaust system capabilities. It's a fairly fine balance of being able to vent what needs venting and venting too much. You don't want to needlessly be pumping your conditioned air outside.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:22 pm

I do not think there is actually a requirement to vent a electric cook top? It is ideal IMO, because it not only gets rid of smoke and smell but also excess humidity.
I do agree with Spruce that you really want a over head exterior exhausting vent.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:46 pm

You're right, probably no requirements for an electric range, though I personally wouldn't want a kitchen without a hood vent. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

daisy_pinckly

Post by daisy_pinckly » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:15 am

Thanks for sharing, I think I'll use some of your tips.