Microwave hood vent

Ask your kitchen related question here
Pascale

Microwave hood vent

Post by Pascale » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi :)
I just installed a microwave hood vent like the one in this video.
https://youtu.be/IYlfldtsYCo

If I'm venting outside, does the vent at the top (where the cupboard doors are) still gets used for something?
My cabinet is 15" deep, unlike most which are 12-14" deep. My doors end up blocking half the width of the vent and I've read it can affect "optimal performance". My question is: does this apply if I vent outside?
:)

Shannon

Re: Microwave hood vent

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:24 pm

If that is the vent and you have switched the blower motor to exhaust out the wall you should be fine
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Pascale

Post by Pascale » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Thanks Shannon.
That was my thought also, but I didn't want to leave it unchecked and be wrong and have my house blow up... 😉
Thank you so much.

Pascale

Post by Pascale » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi again
Turns out the vent on the top is for the microwave, so it shouldn't be obstructed. It can also void the warranty. And while I was still debating if I should add a spacer behind it, I realized that the door can't open unless there's a spacer as it jams on the cabinet door next to it. So I took it off and reinstalled it. Now I'm a pro ;)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:53 pm

Many have a vent for use when the microwave can not be vented outside and then a vent for outside.
It is likely that you will get a slight amount of air out of the top one even when it is set to exhaust outside.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:04 pm

I have never seen a mico or hood vent that wasn't plumbed both ways from the factory, meaning either a recirculating "exhaust" or an actual "vent to exterior" exhaust. You as the installer and the physical environment choose which you utilize. Neither should void the warranty of the unit, considering that it's plumbed for either type of install from the manufacturer. If it does, IHMO, it's time to put it back in the box and send it back to the manufacturer.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.