Microwave oven

Ask your kitchen related question here
Diva123

Microwave oven

Post by Diva123 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:10 pm

I'm trying to remove my over the range microwave. But the screw is just spinning. Whatever is holding it up is not allowing me to take the screw out. What should I do?

A. Spruce

Re: Microwave oven

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:45 pm

Can you post a few pictures of the micro and screw in question? Newer micros are usually mounted to a bracket, remove the micro first, then remove the bracket.

Older micros may only have screws through the bottom of the overhead cabinet into the top of the micro, if this is what you have, then the micro has what's called a "captive nut", which is a fancy way of saying the nut won't spin on you. It is possible that this nut has broken free of it's purchase, if this is the case, then you're going to have to find a way to get a hacksaw blade between the micro and cabinet and simply cut the screw. If you have a keyhole saw, put a metal blade in it and go for it, if you don't, then you can wrap tape around 3-4" of a hacksaw blade to serve as a handle and use that to cut the screw. Watch which end you tape, it will be easiest to pull the saw towards you on the cut stroke. In other words, you want the points of the saw teeth to point towards the end you put tape on.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.