Flooring transition in the Kitchen

Ask your kitchen related question here
phillyldh

Flooring transition in the Kitchen

Post by phillyldh » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:46 pm

I’m in process of renovating my kitchen. Wife wants the hardwood floor in the kitchen but I am a little hesitant about the idea of wood where water can be. I prefer 12x24 porcelain tiles. She said if I install tiles than they have be wood looking ones. My concern is how the wood looking tiles to solid hardwood transition will look like. I have solid hardwood in the dining and living rooms next to the kitchen. The flooring in question is going to be in the kitchen and hallway.

DanM

Re: Flooring transition in the Kitchen

Post by DanM » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:00 pm

IMHO hardwood in a kitchen is perfectly fine. It's not really a truly wet area like a bathroom where there's a lot of moisture in the air, you really only have to worry about spills. If you don't let spills sit on the floor for long periods of time you'll be fine. It'll also be a lot less work, basically just removing whatever is there, a bit of prep, then laying the hardwood. It's also possible to get it perfectly matched to the adjoining rooms if you A) did the other rooms and can simply buy more of what you got, or B) if you can match the species / board size and play around until you match the finish of the existing stuff.

There's a lot of variety in wood look porcelain tiles, but you're gonna be hard pressed to find an exact match to what you have. It'll never match perfectly since the tile will almost never have the same sheen or board size as what you have, plus you'll have grout lines (which you can hide fairly well but they're still there). You'll also want to throw down a layer of plywood with a buttload of screws (if there isn't already an extra layer there) for extra strength and to help match heights. The tiles will usually be 1/4"-3/8" thick, for plank tiles you want to use a 1/2"x1/2" square notch trowel (which will leave a 1/4" thick layer of thinset once you set the tile). So if your hardwood is 1" thick you'll want 3/8" or 1/2" plywood so the heights line up perfectly. It's not overly hard but it is more work, and more materials to buy.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:36 pm

I agree, hardwood in a kitchen isn't a big deal, I put it in my last kitchen and enjoyed it for years. The HUGE advantage of wood over tile is the amount of stress on your body. If you spend any amount of time in the kitchen, you will grow to HATE tile, because it's going to tear up your feet, legs, and back. Again, reflecting on my last house, it was built on slab, meaning cement floor. The kitchen had vinyl, and it was physically exhausting to spend much time in there. After the hardwood was installed, the body fatigue greatly diminished. I spend a whole lot more time in the kitchen now that I ever have before, and that just wouldn't be possible with tile.

Now, as far as spills and moisture is concerned, obviously, you can't dump a pot of water on the floor without there being issues, but you can say that about any flooring type you choose, including tile. The general drips and splotches that occur during normal cooking really do not pose any threat to a wood floor, so long as you wipe them up.

Lastly, who spends the majority of their time in the kitchen, you or your wife? If it's you, put in whatever you want. If it's the wife, put in hardwood.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:01 am

I agree hardwood in kitchen is not a big deal. I do find that it will get a little more dinged up over time then other rooms from dropping cooking utensils or food cans ect. Wipe up water spills ASAP and that is usually no big deal.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon