Cabinet Hinges

Ask your kitchen related question here
KimberlySDunn

Cabinet Hinges

Post by KimberlySDunn » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:17 am

My husband and I are redoing our old kitchen cabinets and I have a question about hinges. From reading online it looks like we have partial overlay doors with faceframe cabinets. We had semi-concealed hinges previously but I really hate the way they look. Is it possible to install concealed hinges with this type of door/cabinet combo? Thank you!
-Kim

A. Spruce

Re: Cabinet Hinges

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:27 am

Yes, you can usually find a concealed hinge that will work for any kind of door. Overlay doors, as the name suggests, overlay, i.e., are mounted on the surface of the face frame. The hinge has to extend outward as well as pivot the door. Pay attention to the description of the hinge, as this will tell you if it's going to work with what you have.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Cabinet Hinges

Post by Shannon » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:36 pm

So I believe what you are wanting is a hinge where you will not see any of it at all? For this you will need a european type door hinge that mounts to the edge of the face frames inside the door opening and the other end is inserted in a large hole bored in the back of the door. To use these you will need to bore those holes yourself and your doors need to be at least 5/8" (3/4" is best) thick and a frame on the door at least 2" wide or a solid door. Do you have a picture of the doors and cabinets you could post?
Here is a link to some pictures of different hinges https://www.google.com/search?q=fully+c ... 35&bih=913
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon