Restoring or painting a white kitchen sink...

Ask your kitchen related question here
DPFAST

Restoring or painting a white kitchen sink...

Post by DPFAST » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:13 am

I have this white kitchen sink that we like very much but after 15 years of use the bottom part of the sink became very rigid or no longer very smooth like the rest of the sink which causes it to stain very easily. Is there any way to paint the bottom of the sink to restore its shine and slickness so nothing sticks to it easily as it was when brand new? I think the sink is metal painted over with some kind of white lacquer? I've always used the metal grid on top of it so nothing ever being placed directly on surface of the sink and yet, it gets stained very easily.
Attachments
20181019_112750.jpg
20181019_112750.jpg (16.74 KiB) Viewed 149 times

A. Spruce

Re: Restoring or painting a white kitchen sink...

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:23 am

Typical is a porcelain enamel over steel or cast iron. While very durable, porcelain does wear over time, especially if abrasive cleansers or scrubbers are used to clean it.

It has been a while since I've used a bath restoration company that refinishes porcelain tubs, back in the day they refused to do sinks, especially kitchen sinks, because of the harsh wear and tear the sink receives. I would start with calls to bathtub refinishers, see if you can find one that will do a sink, if not, then your only other alternative, really, is replacement.

If you can't get it refinished, you can try using Gel Gloss, the only problem is whether or not it's food safe.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K0BHZF2/
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:33 am

As well there are some diy tub refinishing kits but they may not be very long lasting? Not sure I have never tried it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:44 am

Not a fan of the DIY kits, unless you like the look of a brushed on bedliner in your sink.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:11 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:44 am
Not a fan of the DIY kits, unless you like the look of a brushed on bedliner in your sink.

Ok good to know! Lol guess they are not very easy to use.. so not DIY friendly then
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:56 pm

Well, most of them are brush-on products, so, unless you don't care what the sink looks like afterward, it isn't really an option.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:07 pm

Hmm thought it would kinda self level out somewhat , guess not

DPFAST

Post by DPFAST » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:38 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:23 am
Typical is a porcelain enamel over steel or cast iron. While very durable, porcelain does wear over time, especially if abrasive cleansers or scrubbers are used to clean it.

It has been a while since I've used a bath restoration company that refinishes porcelain tubs, back in the day they refused to do sinks, especially kitchen sinks, because of the harsh wear and tear the sink receives. I would start with calls to bathtub refinishers, see if you can find one that will do a sink, if not, then your only other alternative, really, is replacement.

If you can't get it refinished, you can try using Gel Gloss, the only problem is whether or not it's food safe.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K0BHZF2/
Thanks for the link Spruce. I think I will try this out.