INSTALLING HARDWOOD FLOOR ON CONCRETE IN KITCHEN

Ask your kitchen related question here
AKfisher

INSTALLING HARDWOOD FLOOR ON CONCRETE IN KITCHEN

Post by AKfisher » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:05 am

Am new to this, and couldn't find this topic-apologies if covered already.
Is it ok to install hardwood or engineered hardwood onto concrete, in a kitchen? I am handy and can re-sand dents and dints, but am concerned about whether to glue or float floor, and what sort of underlay, and whether to put in vapour barrier. My feeling is that it should breathe, a bit. Am not too bothered about likely wear and tear. It is really small, just 2.3 meters wide. The length is a bit more but unlikely to expand that way. It is a dry upstairs room, but can get hot in summer and cold in winter as poorly insulated. Thanks

Shannon

Re: INSTALLING HARDWOOD FLOOR ON CONCRETE IN KITCHEN

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:52 am

I have never installed wood doors over concrete. I know that some can be directly glued to the concrete under perfect conditions but I believe most hardworking ods are Better installed after a moisture barrier and either 3/4” plywood sub floor or 3/4” wood sleeper system has been installed over the concrete.

Engineered floors could be floated or nailed down.

Best to check with manufactures and suppliers for specific wood floors.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:52 am

Yes, it is ok to put hardwood in a kitchen. Yes, you can install hardwood over concrete.

Whether you glue it down or not depends on the type of flooring (solid wood or engineered) and the manufacturer's recommended installation procedure. If you have a preference, then choose a manufacturer who's installation procedure aligns with your preference.

A floating floor will have a vapor barrier and underlayment, which is some sort of insulation barrier to reduce the hollow knock you get with a floating floor. A glued floor needs neither vapor barrier or underlayment, as the glue acts as both.

A floating floor is easier to install, without much mess, and can be used immediately, a glue is a bit of a pain to work with and requires some curing time before you can be on it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

AKfisher

Post by AKfisher » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:58 am

Thank you -excellent!