Cabinet Wiring New Drywall Suggestions

Ask your kitchen related question here
MCD

Cabinet Wiring New Drywall Suggestions

Post by MCD » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:40 am

Hi Shannon
kitchen drywall removed, reinsulated and about to be re-drywalled for kitchen cabinets. 14/2 romex from wall switch intended for lighting under cabinets will be connected to 12volt after cabinets installed. Cabinets will go straight to ceiling.
Question - where would you bring out your 14/2 romex?
- Directly under the cabinets (could be messy)?
- To a box within the cabinet?
- Other suggestions?

A. Spruce

Re: Cabinet Wiring New Drywall Suggestions

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:46 am

I don't know what today's transformers look like, but back in the day they were fairly large and bulky, taking up valuable cabinet space. If you have accessible space above the cabinets, install the transformer there. If you don't have space above the cabinet, put the transformer on the top shelf, as far out of the way as possible.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Cabinet Wiring New Drywall Suggestions

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:57 pm

So your switch will power the 12v transformer. You can place that transformer
In a out of the way location like in a cabinet out of sight. Many times I place them under the sink in that cabinet. So run 14/2 to that Los tail. And the 12v wiring from there to all light locations. I generally place the 12v wire through the drywall about an inch higher then actual cabinet height . When installing cabinets carefully cut drywall to lower wire to exact position for nice clean finish.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon