Return air vent needs relocated

Ask your kitchen related question here
Invest777

Return air vent needs relocated

Post by Invest777 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi Shannon and fellas. Im installing a base kitchen cabinet but there's a cold air return vent on the wall where the cabinet is going. My cousin told me to just put a square hole in the floor near the wall that the cabinet will go over then put a register in the kick plate of the cabinet . What do you guys think?
Attachments
Screenshot_20181110-203932.jpg
Screenshot_20181110-203932.jpg (34.52 KiB) Viewed 139 times

Shannon

Re: Return air vent needs relocated

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Remove the cover from wall and see if you can cut the opening through wall to the floor. If you can then do that and cover the hole from bottom of cabinet floor up. You can the install as large as vent as possible in the kick of the cabinet.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:34 am

Seems a bit odd of a place for an RA vent, since that looks like it's a refrigerator niche. What is the access to the ducting, attic, basement, crawlspace?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Invest777

Post by Invest777 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:40 am

Thanks Shannon

Invest777

Post by Invest777 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:44 am

Basement .I thought return air vents doesn't usually have ducting but this is a old house so I'm probably wrong. In a refrigerated was right there but it's being replaced with a cabinet and a stove keep in mind those are the old cabinets in the picture

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:17 pm

Depends on the kind of HVAC system you have. The reason it's odd for an RA vent behind a fridge is because of the dust/dirt and heat from the fridge.

I would look at terminating it in the basement and relocating it to a better spot. I'm not a fan of floor RA's because they suck up all the dust/dirt at the floor, which clogs filters all that much faster. Could it be relocated to that hallway just to the left of the kitchen?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:39 pm

I think Spruce has missed the fact that here will no longer be a fridge in that location😂 Just ignore continued his rambling 😂🍺
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:56 pm

No, I get that there's no longer a fridge there, the problem is by relocating it to the toe-kick, it's sucking the dirt right off the floor, hence why I suggest relocating the duct as opposed to putting it under the cabinet.

FWIW, I had a large RA grill mounted at floor level in my last house, it sucked up so much dirt that I replaced the cover with one that could house a filter to stop the dirt there, instead of inside the HVAC system. It helped, but the filter maintenance was still higher than "normal" due to the location of the RA.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:32 am

Oh ok I see.
In homes in my area R/A vents are generally all on the floor? Yes it is a dustier location but that is where cooler air is so the furnace draws from that location and helps to circulate warmer air to the floor level IMO. I suppose being even 6' off the floor would help but being right at floor level is not unusual IMO.