Dishwasher Install

Ask your kitchen related question here
Alexanmi

Dishwasher Install

Post by Alexanmi » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:29 pm

Good Day,
We are hoping to reno our kitchen in a few months and would like to add a dishwasher. The way the kitchen is laid out our dishwasher would need to be installed on a perpendicular wall and approximately 4 feet from the kitchen plumbing. Would I be able to tie the dishwasher in directly to the drain line and water beneath the floor ? Essentially creating a connection to the main drain from the sink to the dishwasher?

A. Spruce

Re: Dishwasher Install

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:05 pm

No, you need to connect in under the sink with an air gap or high loop so that in the event of a blockage you don't get waste water backing up into the dishwasher. Check with the manufacturer as to how long you can make the discharge hose.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:44 pm

I have my dishwasher perpendicular to my sink. You'll be hard pressed to find a discharge hose the length you need it--and the dishwasher itself only comes with one long enough to be next to your sink base cabinet, of course.

I used a length of clear vinyl tubing which seems to work well.

Ideally you want tubing that is corrugated like the one the dishwasher comes with. This hose is designed for bilge pumps. The reason being is that the corrugations create a stiff flexible hose that stays round and can't get squished or flattened easily by lateral force. Other flex tubing as it hangs will cause the tubing to flatten or get out of round, causing flow resistance in the hose.

You'll want to hang the tubing just underneath the countertop and run it across into your sink base at the top of the cabinet, just under the sink. I used zip ties, but be careful not to over-tighten them so as not to squish the hose. I don't have an air gap (was not required in MN when I installed it), so mine goes right into my sink drain above the trap. You may need an air gap in your jurisdiction.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:49 am

I have seen people also use "heater hose" like for car cooling systems. It is a reinforced rubber hose that will not collapse .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon