fan hood/exhaust

Ask your kitchen related question here
vwcilon

fan hood/exhaust

Post by vwcilon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:35 pm

I was thinking of ducting the fan hood out of the house instead of the ole filter/recycled air option. Question is, should I/do I need to have a dedicated duct run up and out through the roof...….orrr can I tap into a nearby bathroom fan that is up and through the roof.
I guess the real question is, do I really have to make another hole in my roof??

Shannon

Re: fan hood/exhaust

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:17 pm

It should be a dedicated duct for sure and it does not have to necessarily exit through the roof. It can go through a wall if you are close enough. I recommend duct runs of less then 12' and limited elbows. Also using rigid ducting instead of flex ducting really helps flow.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

vwcilon

Post by vwcilon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:36 pm

ahhhhh thought you'd say that LOL
I have a short run to outside wall, maybe 6 feet, but have brick on the outside i'd rather not disturb. So I guess I could go up into the attic and then over and out through the soffit?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:47 pm

Soffits are not the best place to vent wet air, as it can get drawn up into the attic and cause some mold/mildew issues. If venting in soffit is NOT near a vent, you'll probably be ok, if it is in or near a vent DO NOT run the exhaust to a soffit location, a roof penetration would be better.

Going through a brick facade isn't that big a deal, the only real problem would be the aesthetics of having a vent in that particular location. If it's a public location, maybe not, if it's where nobody will see it, don't worry about it, go through the brick
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:06 am

Yup, I agree with Spruce here.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon