Bubble at edge of new countertop

Ask your kitchen related question here
Invest777

Bubble at edge of new countertop

Post by Invest777 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:02 pm

Hey guys

So I recently did a side job where I made a client a laminate countertop. Just a simple 8 foot straight countertop. Made correctly just like shannon did in his video. Also this isnt my first countertop ive made and never had a problem. Keep in mind this countertop has been installed about at least a month with no issues. Also the kitchen is" in use" so the clients are actually using the countertop and i dont know how they use the countertop since i dont live there. They could've put something very hot over there that caused it to bubble- i don't know. Recently about several days ago while doing another job I saw it had a bubble at the edge of the 25 inch side where it's up against the wall. They haven't said anything but if the situation occurs, I'm personally is not trying to take the blame for it, IF it's not my fault , if it didn't have anything to do with my work. So the question is : is there anything I could've did wrong to make this occur? because I'm willing to make it right. Here a few pics of the countertop. But not the "bubble"
Attachments
20181219_122226.jpg
20181219_122226.jpg (64.54 KiB) Viewed 126 times
20181201_103720.jpg
20181201_103720.jpg (80.06 KiB) Viewed 126 times

Shannon

Re: Bubble at edge of new countertop

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:12 pm

Usually either heat , poor glue coverage, contamination or distortion are the main things that would cause that.
I had one that did that and it ended up being their coffee maker sits in that area and it gets really hot on the bottom for some reason. They developed a bump eventually. At first it would stick back down just by pressing it down and smoothing your hand around the area. That would last for a few days and it would come back. Eventually it would come back the next day after pressing it down. I had to heat the entire end of the counter with a heat gun to release the glue , carefully peal it back and re apply glue.
In this case they did not want to change coffee makers so they bought a cutting board to place it on just incase it did it again.

Hard to say what is going on? I would ask when that started lifting and explain that really hot items placed directly in laminate can cause that some times.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:09 pm

That's my sentiments as well. You might be able to apply heat then weight the area down to see if it will re-adhere. Find out if they've been putting hot things there and then suggest alternatives, such as putting hot item on a cutting board or silicone mat.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Invest777

Post by Invest777 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:05 am

Thanks Shannon !