Removing tile and subfloor

Ask your kitchen related question here
InOverMyHead

Removing tile and subfloor

Post by InOverMyHead » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:04 pm

I’m currently in the middle of a nightmare bathroom Reno but figured I’d get a head start on advice for my next mission after the bathroom. I removed the tile and subfloor in the bathroom and I have to admit, it was one of the toughest jobs I’ve taken on outside my trade ( Ironworker ) I don’t know if the guy just wanted to empty his pouch or what but there was a mix of screws and nails and lots of them. It took me 2 evenings to get er fully stripped. The bathroom is only 8x8. The kitchen is 17x20 😭
Please help with any ideas that will help speed up the process. I used a pry bar and 4lbs beater in the bathroom. Wedges didn’t work too good because I couldn’t see the nails or screws. Basically just pried it off the floor in pieces.

Shannon

Re: Removing tile and subfloor

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:01 pm

Unfortunately that is how they go sometimes!
If your lucky and can talk someone else into helping , two guys and a couple bars can work together a couple feet apart and pry it up working together. Who said demo was fun?🤨
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:01 pm

There is no "easy" way to tear out tile, it's a pain and it will fight you every step of the way. The key is to break it into smaller, more manageable pieces using whatever pry bars and hammers you have at your disposal. The key is to apply enough force to break what needs breaking, but not so much force that you cause collateral damage, such as beating on one side of a wall and dropping priceless art to the floor on the other. Generally, tearing out a floor is pretty easy to keep contained within the area being worked. Again, tile is a pain to tear out.

Hopefully, the kitchen is vinyl, if so, this is infinitely easier to pull out, especially if you score the floor into smaller pieces with a circular saw. If it's tile, break out an area with a hammer and work a pry bar under it. If you're working over a slab, then rent a roto-hammer to chisel it off. Similarly, if pulling vinyl off a slab, you can either use a hand scraper or you can rent a power scraper. Pics and details will help us help guide you in the right direction
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

InOverMyHead

Post by InOverMyHead » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:35 pm

Thank you for your replies to both my posts. The floor is tile and I will definitely be using power assisted tools. Should the tile come off first, then the subfloor? Or both at the same time like I did the bathroom? Collateral damage....very fitting choice of words. Half way through I switched from my safety glasses to a full face shield.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:08 pm

It will probably be easier to remove the tile first, then the subfloor, but if you can get under all of it with a good pry bar it all may come out in one shot.

Yeah, long sleeves, gloves, dust mask, face shield, and any other PPE you can wear is a good idea when demoing tile. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:39 am

Ya I would remove the tiles first, it will make things easier on the body then trying to pry up the entire floor.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon