Remove old vinyl or not for new laminate floor?

Ask your kitchen related question here
taskrov

Remove old vinyl or not for new laminate floor?

Post by taskrov » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:57 pm

I love your videos. I learned a lot from them. I have a 1928 house that has been remodeled a few times over the years. I want to put vinyl laminate planks in the kitchen. The floor is made up of dimensional lumber planks, 1/2" plywood, underlayment and vinyl sheet. The thickness of the new vinyl planks is about the same as the underlayment and vinyl sheet together. The vinyl is in good shape and the floor is nice and tight, though not perfectly level in some places. My questions are (1) Should I install the new floor over the existing vinyl or remove it and the underlayment first? (2) Do I need to float the floor? Thank you.

Shannon

Re: Remove old vinyl or not for new laminate floor?

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:55 pm

If you are floating the new flooring then you can go right on top of what you have. If you are gluing it down you may have to remove the old vinyl and underlayment first and install a new underlayment to glue the flooring to. The manufacture will have recommendations for that on their website likely.You may possibly be able to skim coat the surface of the old vinyl with a thinnest and glue to that so check with the manufacturer
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

taskrov

Post by taskrov » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:15 pm

Thanks Shannon for quick reply. I forgot to add the the floor dips 1/2" about third of the way along the long dimension of the floor and is level on both ends. The lower end continues to the laundry room and eventually the bathroom. It is like two different levels. It is noticeable when one walks on the floor but it not really a problem. Would this situation be best handled by gluing the floor as you described?

taskrov

Post by taskrov » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:48 pm

@Shannon I saw your reply to similar question. viewtopic.php?t=7744#p39881
Do you think that would work for me? My wife would like the planks to run lengthwise but if this solves my problem maybe she would be fine having the planks run parallel with he drop.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:42 pm

Yes if its a drop over a short distance running parallel to it will help but vinyl plank is pretty form fitting and will settle into place after a little either way. Glueing will help but i can't say if its necessary for sure without seeing the dip and judging for myself, so you will have to make that division yourself.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon