Cheapest/best value option for improving old kitchen cabinets

Ask your kitchen related question here
Leftside

Cheapest/best value option for improving old kitchen cabinets

Post by Leftside » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:51 am

We plan on selling our home and would like to freshen up the kitchen.

One of the cabinet doors is broken and it looks like we won't be able to find a replacement that matches in color.

We priced refacing the cabinets and it is too expensive. What other options are there for us?

Right now we are leaning towards replacing the door and then painting the cabinets and getting new hardware. Is this our best/cheapest/best value option?

Thanks

A. Spruce

Re: Cheapest/best value option for improving old kitchen cabinets

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:56 am

Can you post a pic of the damage?

A woodworker or cabinet shop should be able to repair or make a new door and closely match the color.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:57 am

Painting yourself is your cheapest option. Sometimes i recommend not spending a ton of money on cabinet spruce ups for selling a home because your tastes may not be the same as buyers and they may tear them out anyways. Make them look clean and tidy but don't go over board. If the interiors are OK then don't spend time painting inside.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jstrez77

Post by jstrez77 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:25 am

I thought about getting new doors and just repainting, but how do you paint the box? My cabinets seem to have some paper that tears off.
20190323_085507.jpg
20190323_085507.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 106 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:19 am

Those cabinets are still paintable, you'll just have to use some spackle or other filler to blend in where the paper has peeled. Give the cabinets a good wash with TSP and rinse, being careful not to wet the bare areas or allow water to pool under the cabinet feet because particle board will soak water up like a sponge and swell, permanently damaging it. You'll also need to remove the paper wherever it is loose or bubbled and fill those areas as well. Prime with a good quality primer, such as Bull's Eye 123, then top coat with a good quality paint, choose a mid-range dealer paint over anything from a big box.

Your best finish will come from spraying, however, you can just as easily use a roller to apply the paint, then lay it off with a brush.

jstrez77

Post by jstrez77 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:19 pm

So spackle or filler over the particle board and paint over the paper and spackle?

Leftside

Post by Leftside » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:40 pm

I thought using a brush was best? Least that's what I thought I read somewhere. Is that not true? I was going to spray anyway since I was going to paint the interior anyway.

Thx all.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:45 pm

jstrez77 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:19 pm
So spackle or filler over the particle board and paint over the paper and spackle?
Once you remove what paper will come off, you will have to feather the edge between where there is paper and no paper, this is the area that you'll be filling. If you can get all the paper off, then there will be no need for filling.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:50 pm

Leftside wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:40 pm
I thought using a brush was best? Least that's what I thought I read somewhere. Is that not true? I was going to spray anyway since I was going to paint the interior anyway.

Thx all.
Spraying will give you the smoothest finish. Brushing will leave bristle lines, while not a terrible thing, it won't be as smooth and "factory finish" as spraying is. Other than aesthetics, it does not matter what manner you apply the primer and paint.