Thin concrete countertops?

Ask your kitchen related question here
Pat86004

Thin concrete countertops?

Post by Pat86004 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:27 pm

I have an old house (built in 1958) and the countertops are tile, and I hate them (the grout is rotting away, and makes it very hard to clean) They sit flush with the top of the countertop edging, so when I pop out a tile, there is a recess across the entire top that is just a little over 1/2" thick. I was thinking that since I hate them that I would remove all the tile, and use some kind of concrete with small aggregate to pour a new surface on it until I can save up the money to do a real kitchen remodel. Is this possible? Is there any product that you would reccomend? Other suggestions? I want to keep this as inexpensive as possible, as it would be a temporary solution. (Hopefully a year or less, but as we all know, things happen) thanks in advance.

Shannon

Re: Thin concrete countertops?

Post by Shannon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:36 pm

I don’t think that a half inch of concrete would last long as a countertop. Depending on your cabinet layout you may be able to purchase pre built laminate counters pretty cheap and install them
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:37 pm

My advice would be to not waste your money on something you're going to replace shortly anyway. It will be far faster, cheaper, and easier to install a premade formica top or simply regrout what you have until you're ready to do your remodel.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Pat86004

Post by Pat86004 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:42 pm

I get what you are saying a.spruce. but to me, if I could get by for a year for a low/moderate cost, it wouldn't be a waste of money. I have 2 other projects that are higher priority to me, however, I would prefer to have a decent, easy to clean solution for the kitchen for the time being

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:46 pm

Yes, I understand that, I'm simply saying that there are other options that are much easier, faster, and cheaper that will provide everything you are asking for, short of actually being a concrete countertop.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.