Cabinet Repair after Backsplash Removal

Ask your kitchen related question here
sanchezcruz_20

Cabinet Repair after Backsplash Removal

Post by sanchezcruz_20 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:25 pm

In preparation for new countertop install, I removed the laminate backsplash from a cabinet wall that is part of the built-in fridge cabinetry. In the process, the glue damaged the surface of the cabinet.

Wondering what the best way is to go about refinishing/repairing this?

I am considering just sanding it smooth (to further remove glue), filling it with some sort of wood filler product, sanding it smooth and repainting.

Am I head in the right direction with that approach?

At this time, I'm only concerned about the cabinet wall since drywall repair is more familiar to me.

Thanks for your input!

Here are some pics:

A. Spruce

Re: Cabinet Repair after Backsplash Removal

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:48 pm

Personally, I would maintain an end splash. IMHO, it finishes off the countertop better and protects the side of the cabinet. In lieu of that, yes, sanding and painting will be the most efficacious repair.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Cabinet Repair after Backsplash Removal

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:07 am

Yes I agree if you are using a end splash again then its no concern just install new splash. Paint matching the cabinet colour can be tricky as most cabinet shops have their own custom colours and over time these colours change slightly with conditions of the home.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon