vinyl flooring

Ask your kitchen related question here
IrishRob

vinyl flooring

Post by IrishRob » Thu May 16, 2019 8:03 pm

I am doing my small galley kitchen over. I would love to do some of the demo myself to try and save some money. I have a couple of questions to ask in regards to the floor...
1) The vinyl flooring is in good shape. It has a few nicks or dimples in it. I am getting new vinyl flooring. Should I have the old ripped up or could I have the new put right over the old?
2) I am going to remove the old cove base myself. If any adhesive is left behind on the walls, how do I remove it without damaging the wall? I am most likely putting a new cove base up. Could I put the new on top of any left behind adhesive?

Shannon

Re: vinyl flooring

Post by Shannon » Thu May 16, 2019 8:54 pm

So depending on the type of vinyl flooring you could go over it. Most installers will not install a new vinyl over a cushion backed vinyl. Your installer should be able to advise you .

Generally cove baseboard (rubber baseboard) is installed directly to the drywall wall and if you remove it without first cutting along the top edge with a sharp utility knife you will for sure tear off and damage the paper above the base. So score it first and carefully remove it. In most cases you should be able to install new stuff in its place.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon