Remove drywall behind fridge but leave studs.

Ask your kitchen related question here
sammyp42

Remove drywall behind fridge but leave studs.

Post by sammyp42 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Hello, here's my dilemma. We have a fridge cavity with a wall next to it. We can't easily build out the wall (would be impossible for us to match the look of the new wall with the existing old walls because of texture that's aged and been painted over many, many times). The fridge cavity is 24 1/2in - 24 1/4" deep (drywall in back is probably uneven) and we currently have a full size fridge that sticks out about 6in from the end of the (standard depth fridge). Mainly so we have more room in front of the fridge to walk, we want to replace the old standard depth fridge with a counter depth fridge. We really wanted the body of the counter depth fridge to be completely hidden (the side of the fridge is black and color contrast will stick out). Unfortunately, the body of the counter depth fridge is 24 3/8" deep, so with 2in of clearance for air, it needs 26 3/8" space, though I'm reading around 1in of air clearance in the back should be okay too... so about 25 1/2" space. To give us the extra space, I am thinking of removing the drywall behind the fridge, but leaving the studs. Assuming the drywall is 1/2" thick, the cavity would now be 25" deep to the studs. We can't remove the studs because it's likely a load bearing wall. My question, would putting the fridge right against the studs, or just 5/8" away from the studs (remember fridge body is 24 3/8" deep) be okay for air circulation purposes? There are two vertical studs that go up the entire wall, that's all that's in the way and they are normal 2x4, so fairly narrow.. We'd have the finagle the electric and water line a bit too, but should fit okay considering the studs are still there. Thoughts?

Shannon

Re: Remove drywall behind fridge but leave studs.

Post by Shannon » Sat May 18, 2019 7:30 pm

I see this as an ok solution to gain some extra room to slide the fridge back and still allow air flow.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat May 18, 2019 9:04 pm

In theory, it sounds like a good idea, however, being this is the kitchen, and the #1 place of house fires, it is NOT a good idea to compromise the drywall. I wouldn't recommend this plan.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun May 19, 2019 8:00 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:04 pm
In theory, it sounds like a good idea, however, being this is the kitchen, and the #1 place of house fires, it is NOT a good idea to compromise the drywall. I wouldn't recommend this plan.
I suppose that is a concern. You could remove that drywall and cut some width off the studs (if its not a load bearing wall) and the wrap the stud bay in new drywall?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon