Click and Lock Floor Stagger

Ask your kitchen related question here
IrishRob

Click and Lock Floor Stagger

Post by IrishRob » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:23 am

I have asked a few questions earlier regarding my kitchen floor. I have one more question. My wife and I chose a click and lock floating laminate floor. It is in a black and white checkerboard pattern. The pieces come in a pattern of alternating black and white squares. Four squares per piece, so it's black-white-black-white. I thought if I put one piece down, then I could just flip the adjacent piece around to make the checkerboard look. I read that a floating floor should be laid in a staggered way. That would be a lot of cutting of a lot of boards. So my question is...must I stagger each piece I lay down? I hope I explained everything correctly. I almost confused myself. Sorry, I have no pictures of anything. Thanks for any help.

A. Spruce

Re: Click and Lock Floor Stagger

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:33 am

Yes, you want to stagger your butt joints, It makes for a more stable and strong floor, and it looks a lot better. The cutting isn't too bad, start a strip with a full, end with a cut, that cut then becomes the starter for the next row. Yes, you will probably need to cut this starter again to keep your pattern going, in the end, much less waste as well as the other things I've mentioned.

Because your floor has a pattern, you will also have more waste, buy accordingly. I suspect that the manufacturer will have an estimate for the amount of overage you need to buy that accounts for that waste. If not, I'd suggest buying 25% to 30% more than the square footage you need to cover, you can always return the excess.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Click and Lock Floor Stagger

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:44 pm

Just an FYI you can not flip pieces around . They are designed to start from one direction and continue in that direction.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon