Making Kitchen Cabinet Doors

Ask your kitchen related question here
Andrew67

Making Kitchen Cabinet Doors

Post by Andrew67 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:27 pm

One of my reno projects is remodeling the kitchen. I'm looking into refinishing the cabinet doors or making new ones. I will be painting them and want some simple trim. What type(s) of wood would you suggest ?

Thanks !

Shannon

Re: Making Kitchen Cabinet Doors

Post by Shannon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:38 am

MDF is a nice choice for painting and its inexpensive. If you prefer actual wood then poplar or maple. Avoid pine as it tends to not paint well without first sealing it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Andrew67

Post by Andrew67 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:01 am

Thanks again Shannon.

Andrew67

Post by Andrew67 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:40 pm

Ok after some further investigating i found that the doors on our cupboards are in great condition. So i`m going to sand them down and repaint them. What is the best way to prep them for painting. They got a couple layers of paint on them. I have lots of doors and cabinets to do.

Also i picked up some other cabinets that are covered with a laminate. What`s the best way to prep these for a new color of paint ?

What method of painting would be best, brush, roller or spray. I`m leaning towards using a spray gun. I do have a compressor but no spray gun. What type and kind of gun would you suggest ?

Thanks !

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:37 pm

So with your existing doors, as long as the paint that is already there is good and bonded well then just sand them to get rid of any glossy surfaces so the new paint will bond to whats there. Also make sure to give them a good wipe with TSP to remove grime and oil from handling and cooking. At that point you can paint. Depends a bit on how much detail there is to the doors, if they have fine edges or inside corners rolling will not do you much good so spraying would be better. I almost for got if the doors are finished with oil based paint and you are using water based then they will need to primed as well, to improve the bond between old and new paint.
When you say these other cabinet doors have laminate covering them ? Do you mean plastic laminate like on counter tops? Then they will need more attention and prep to get a good bond of new paint and maybe even special paint. I would consult your local pro paint supply shop to be pointed in the right direction there, to be sure this will work for what you wanna do to them. Good luck with the cabinets!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Andrew67

Post by Andrew67 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:22 am

I started sanding one of the doors and things were going good........that`s until i decided to use a air hose to get the fine dust off. That`s when the paint started flying off in big and small pieces. I`m glad i used the air to clean the dust because it told me the paint was not bonded as good as i thought. So i want to remove all the paint from the cabinets and doors. I have looked at the Home Depot web site to see what products they have for this job. There are numerous options and i`m not sure what one will do the best job, like i said i have lots of paint removal to do, i am also not rushing this as i want the best job i can do. On that info what paint remover would you suggest ?

P.S. Members, please feel free to post your thoughts and experiences, the more options the better.

Thanks !

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:02 pm

I honestly do not do much paint removal, but my experience with strippers ( Ha ha I said strippers) paint strippers that is... is that usually the gel types are best on vertical surfaces. The problem with strippers is they are messy and time consuming.
Probably the issue is that someone has painted latex paint over an old oil based paint with out proper prep and primmer. If this is the case and you only need to remove basically one layer then sanding with a 80 grit on an orbital sander will get you through the bad layer fairly quickly then you could give things a shot with maybe 120 grit and then prime?

I also echo your sediments about all of our members getting involved in these discussions, I don't mind being the "go to guy" but it is nice to hear others experiences.

Andrew67

Post by Andrew67 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:04 pm

LMAO....your experience with strippers eh.....lol....My suggestion would be a lot of drinks and a pocket full of $$$.....lol.

You would only go as high as 120 grit, i was thinking more like 220 or higher ?

I`m going to go to Home Depot and see what they suggest as far as PAINT strippers go.

Thanks again.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:38 am

You can see how your finish is after using 120, but I would suspect it will be ok.

Andrew67

Post by Andrew67 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:11 am

Ok, thanks.