Shim vs spacer?

Ask your kitchen related question here
Edclayton89

Shim vs spacer?

Post by Edclayton89 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:57 am

Hello, I am currently working on a long wall kitchen project. I have established a level line across the wall going off the high point of floor I determined using a transit level. Being a long run of 23', the floor slopes to around 9/16 at the far end. this is a gradual, steady slope from high point to low. I was not very concerned about mid run or so with traditional shims, however on the far end I fell shimming 9/16" is asking for trouble and the counters will be topped with granite when complete. Would actually making say 1/2 ply spacers and nailing to floor, shimming then off the ply spacer be acceptable and solid? I could also figure 1/4 ply spacers about mid run where the slope begins to open. after completion I believe the toe kicks will hide the gap and am also thinking that 9/16 over 23' run shouldn't be very obvious to the average eye to pick out.

Thanks ahead!

Shannon

Re: Shim vs spacer?

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:34 am

Yes your plan of a spacer and the shimming off of that is a good one. For future reference sometimes I will actually plane the bottom of the first few cabinets off so that as I get further down the line I only need to raise others by half as much. It’s a lot more work though. And in your case 9/16” in 23’ is never going to be noticeable and if kick will cover the difference then you have no concerns.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Edclayton89

Post by Edclayton89 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:55 am

Thank you very much, Shannon!

I will note that going forward to split the difference.

side note, Thanks for all the videos posted I have watched several and applaud your professionalism and clean work. I consider myself very green to the remodeling field and have learned a ton of great tips from watching!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:27 pm

You are welcome
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon