Under sink Switched Receptacle

Ask your kitchen related question here
SheilaUllom

Under sink Switched Receptacle

Post by SheilaUllom » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:45 pm

Under my sink is a switched receptacle. I need it split, so that the top is constantly on. I saw your video on how to do this, but when I went to do it, there were only 3 wires going to the outlet. Is it still possible to do what I want easily?
Attachments
undersinkWires.jpg
undersinkWires.jpg (58.34 KiB) Viewed 281 times

A. Spruce

Re: Under sink Switched Receptacle

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:11 am

What are the other wires in the box?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:40 am

You can only have a constantly-powered receptacle if power is feeding that box. Use a volt meter to test all the wires in the box along with the neutral to see if you have a hot conductor, even when the switch is off.

If so, then you can split the receptacle, and rewire it to make one half of it switched and the other constant. If you have no hot conductor in the box at all when the switch is off, then unfortunately the power feed is entering the switch box instead.

Glancing at that pic you posted, though, I'm guessing the power enters the receptacle box... they look like old wires.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:44 pm

Also I would replace that receptacle with a new one. When doing so, do not use the "back-stab" wire terminations that were used with the old receptacle. Instead, wrap the wire clockwise around the terminal screws.