Floating Floor under Ikea Kitchen Sink Cabinets

Ask your kitchen related question here
ssimpson

Floating Floor under Ikea Kitchen Sink Cabinets

Post by ssimpson » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:21 pm

I have been installing my Ikea kitchen which as you know uses suspension rails to hold up the cabinets which are further supported by the plastic Ikea legs.

We are also installing some Costco engineered vinyl plank flooring (They ‘click’ together) and this is going over freshly installed good one side plywood. It will be a floating floor.

The instructions for the plank flooring say that since it is a floating floor, I should not place it under the cabinets.

So, I am thinking of having the flooring go under the cabinets and almost up to the legs then stop. The Ikea toe kick will then go on and it will look ok.

I have also sealed the plywood near the sink with primer so that water does not soak in.

But my primary concern is that near the sink the flooring will extend under the sink only a couple of inches and then there will be a free edge.

Is this sufficient? Do I have to worry about water from occasional spills getting behind the toe kick and under the flooring? What is the best way to terminate the floating floor under the kitchen sink cabinet and be content that it is good enough?

Thanks,

Stephen

Shannon

Re: Floating Floor under Ikea Kitchen Sink Cabinets

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:14 am

I would seal the bottom edge of the toe kick all the way around the kitchen with silicone. This seals that edge everywhere and gives a nice clean finish against the floor.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Re: Floating Floor under Ikea Kitchen Sink Cabinets

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:53 am

Yup, caulk the toe kick to the floor. I would suggest an acrylic latex over silicon, simply because it's a much easier product to use.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.