cabinet removal

Ask your kitchen related question here
rowena1924

cabinet removal

Post by rowena1924 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:50 am

Hi, Im just new to this forum. i just bought a house. I have a very small kitchen and dining space. Please see the pictures. Im thinking of removing the small bar/countertop area & the cabinets to have more dining space. Do you think it’s a good idea? Open for suggestions. Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shannon

Re: cabinet removal

Post by Shannon » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:28 am

That is a personal choice I guess? A couple things to consider first though. If you remove that upper corner cabinet You will need a finished end panel made and stained to match which will cover the end of the cabinet you leave up there and the wall will likely ned some patching and painting. When you remove the lower cabinets there is a really good chance that there is no flooring under them. It looks to be a laminate or luxury vinyl plank flooring and if you actually still have some extra pieces or can actually find the same stuff you will have to remove the flooring in the entire room back to that point to install the new pieces.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:42 am

I agree with Shannon. The most I would consider would be to narrow the counter to remove the "bar" section and remove the bar stools, this will open up the area quite a bit and you wouldn't lose storage, which is always at a premium.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

rowena1924

Post by rowena1924 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:31 am

Thank you Shannon. You are a big help. My husband & I are always watching your Youtube videos. Very helpful πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

rowena1924

Post by rowena1924 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:34 am

Thanks A. Spruce πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Invest777

Post by Invest777 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:07 pm

Yeah I agree with Shannon. I wouldn't even remove the countertop. The way I look at it, the "bar countertop" actually adds more space via additional seating. I mean what if you have friends and family over and they need somewhere to sit and talk and not just in the living room etc, it adds space.