Drywall not matching plaster thickness

Ask your kitchen related question here
HomeImprovGuy7

Drywall not matching plaster thickness

Post by HomeImprovGuy7 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:01 pm

I recently installed a beam in the attic above my living room, tearing down a wall. The original ceiling (I think plaster?) does not match up with any drywall thickness I put up and is somewhat uneven at points. I ended up putting up 1/2" and it is a little shallower than the original. What is the best remedy? I am considering loosening the drywall we installed and shim between the drywall and the joists, or potentially filling it in with some kind of plaster or mud or transitioning with a wide trowel so it is not as noticeable. It is 4 feet by 20 feet. Thank you!
House Drywall.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Clarence

Re: Drywall not matching plaster thickness

Post by Clarence » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:49 pm

You can use U S G Structo-Lite plaster applied to the drywall than using a long straight edge & using the existing plaster as a guide ( screed ) rake all high areas off & fill all low spots.
Depending on what type drywall you used it may need a bonding agent.
The new plastered area will require a finish coat.

Wallydog66

Post by Wallydog66 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:59 am

Typically, 5/8" thick drywall is used on ceilings, 1/2" thick drywall is used on walls. I learned the hard way myself some years ago with a similar repair.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:01 pm

Wallydog66 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:59 am
Typically, 5/8" thick drywall is used on ceilings, 1/2" thick drywall is used on walls. I learned the hard way myself some years ago with a similar repair.
depends where you live, not everywhere requires 5/8" on ceilings
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon