Tile over existing tiles in tub surround

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Jeremyq

Tile over existing tiles in tub surround

Post by Jeremyq » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:57 pm

Hello all. Curious about your opinion on tiling directly over existing tiles? They are in good shape. Also...I have a generic bathtub and wanted to attach a wood skirt to the exterior...what is the best way to do that and have it last . Thanks guys

A. Spruce

Re: Tile over existing tiles in tub surround

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:38 pm

I am not a fan of tile over tile, if the tile has a slick surface then it won't hold the mastic well for the second layer of tile. Will it work, yes, should it be done, it would be better if you didn't. Another issue will be clearances under doors, toilet flanges, etc.

Same goes for putting a wood face on a tub that is not made for it. Can you do it, sure, should you, probably not. The problem with wood facing the tub is that it is a wet environment, and wood doesn't hold up well when it's constantly getting wet, at least not if you want it looking nice. Secondary problem would be keeping the wood sealed to the tub, moisture is inevitably going to get behind it which is going to create mold and mildew. Mold is not only an unpleasant odor, it is extremely unhealthy to breathe.

What did I mean by "tub not made for it", tubs come in two flavors, self standing and drop in. The former has a finished face and creates a seamless line from the floor to the interior of the tub. A drop in, as the name suggest, is supported around its rim by a framework you provide, with this style of tub, you could face it with anything you like, though wood would not be my choice, I'd go with tile or cultured stone.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.