Exhaust fan venting

Ask your bathroom related questions here
greatone1982

Exhaust fan venting

Post by greatone1982 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:19 am

Would there be any issues if I tie my exhaust fan vent into the sewer vent up in the attic going through the roof? Or another option I was thinking about was just running it into a roof vent. Basically Im trying to run this vent w/o having to cut a "new" hole in my roof.

Shannon

Re: Exhaust fan venting

Post by Shannon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:18 pm

Welcome to our forum! Wow i'm glad you asked questions before you started.Don't do either! If you tied the fan exhaust to the sewer vent you would for sure get poisonous sewer gas coming back into your house.The little vent flapper in your bath fan or oven vent (don't know which one you are installing) are cheaply desighned and only slow down the air that back feeds through them when the fans are not running so you would get sewer gas coming in for sure!
Running the vent line up close to a attic vent sounds like it would work ...but it does not! Believe me cause I tried this my self a few years ago on my own house.Thought it would work to get me through the winter till I could get on the roof safely in the summer to do it right but was a bad bad idea. Every vent line should have its own exterior vent that vents out the roof top,soffit area or directly out through a wall. Also remember to keep them 1m (39") away from any fresh air intakes or opening windows also.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

greatone1982

Post by greatone1982 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:52 pm

man that really sucks, but ya im glad i asked before doing it. thanks again for the info.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:59 am

better to ask questions and then do it right the first time! Come again !
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Muelly

Post by Muelly » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi. Just joined and saw this post from a while back. I too am thinking about adding a vent in my master bath. Does the exhaust have to go outside? Could i just vent into the attic?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Welcome to the forum! You must vent it to the outside of your home.All of that moist air is no place for your attic, it does not matter if you are in a warm climate or cold it should be vented to the outside.

Muelly

Post by Muelly » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks for the info.