Window in shower

Ask your bathroom related questions here
gablop801

Window in shower

Post by gablop801 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:40 pm

I’m remolding my bathroom and there’s going to be a window in the shower. I really don’t want there to be and I don’t have a choice. Anyway the window is big and I’m looking to make it smaller (height wise) the width is fine. I want the window high enough so water won’t splash and moister or mold build up. However, the window sits on a cemented foundation. Question… to make it smaller (height wise) is it best to use cement on to build the window frame or use wood? I want to make sure I’m correctly modifying the window to prevent any issues from the inside or out. Any feedback from HouseImprovements or anyone I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Shannon

Re: Window in shower

Post by Shannon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:24 pm

When you say you do not have a choice, I am not sure why? If the window is coming out to install a smaller one ,why not leave it out and fill in the opening?
As for what to build the opening smaller with it depends a bit on the situation. A couple of pictures posted showing the current situation my help.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

ninjaryder1st

Post by ninjaryder1st » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:31 pm

maybe its the wife's request? just joking a bit, and don't mean to be a pest!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:57 pm

I understand. LOL
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

gablop801

Post by gablop801 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:47 pm

Thank you Shannon for replying. Yes completely removing the window and filling it in is an option and it certainly would make things a lot easier. On the other hand... I want to have a little window for natural light but its not set in stone, I'm open for all options.

The layout of my bathroom is challenging, it’s a narrow bathroom and if I want a bathtub/shower, only place it would fit is against the window. I've attached a couple of picture hoping it clarifies what I'm trying to explain lol. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ninjaryder1st

Post by ninjaryder1st » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:41 pm

i like to glass block idea for natural light w/o a true opening window.
of course, if you have no window openable, you'd have to vent an exhaust fan out side of house for bathroom, unless you already have one.

you could consider a poured shower pain/custom length and width, say 40 in by 32 to its a rectangle on one side of wall/window and in corner. play w/ the floor plan on paper a little bit and see what you get.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:59 pm

gablop801 wrote:Thank you Shannon for replying. Yes completely removing the window and filling it in is an option and it certainly would make things a lot easier. On the other hand... I want to have a little window for natural light but its not set in stone, I'm open for all options.

The layout of my bathroom is challenging, it’s a narrow bathroom and if I want a bathtub/shower, only place it would fit is against the window. I've attached a couple of picture hoping it clarifies what I'm trying to explain lol. Thanks.
Ok now I see exactly the situation. So if you want to reduce the height of the window opening I would remove the existing window and frame the new opening to what you need then use plywood on outside of framing covered with flat colored metal The window could then be installed and the metal caulked to the brick exterior to prevent water from getting behind it. You can usually by coloured metal stock from eavestroughing companies.