bathroom fan

Ask your bathroom related questions here
lynnb

bathroom fan

Post by lynnb » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:29 am

Hi Shannon, back for more help.
Daughter bought a house and we are renovating the small bathroom which is in single level house with basement , bathroom ceiling goes into accessable attic . The bathroom has never had a exhaust fan, is it proper to install exhaust fan into ceiling so it exhausts into the attic? The plumbing didn't have a shower before but I will be adding that so shower will be used as well.
Thanks
Lynn

Shannon

Re: bathroom fan

Post by Shannon » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:41 am

By code in most areas you need either a opening window or an exhaust fan in a 3 or 4 piece bathroom.
I usually recommend a fan regardless wether there is a window or not. It needs to be vented to the exterior of the home however not just into the attic. There are roof top vents and wall vents available for this and insulated ducting as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

lynnb

Post by lynnb » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:08 am

Thanks Shannon can it be vented via like a dryer type vent out of the fan across the attic ( laying ontop of the insulation ) and through the soffit? It has a cottage style roof.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:29 am

yes that is fine but if you are in a colder location you will want to use an insulated flexible duct.Also try to keep the distance under 10' long
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

lynnb

Post by lynnb » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:02 pm

Shannon wrote:yes that is fine but if you are in a colder location you will want to use an insulated flexible duct.Also try to keep the distance under 10' long
lol your not kidding I'm in a colder location, up here in Sault Ste Marie we're starting to get a flurry or two already.
Yes the distance will be short as the washroom is on the outside wall.
Thanks
Shannon

Lynn

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:47 pm

oh ok. I'm in Saskatchewan, and so far we are having a pretty nice fall!

lynnb

Post by lynnb » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Ok looking a bit closer at the job, seems there is not enough room where the roof meets the top of the wall in the attic to go out that way with a vent tube. Shannon is there any reason I could not put the exhaust vent in the wall? It is an exterior wall with vinyl siding. There is also a small window in that wall above the tub. The bathroom is already gutted to the studs and that outside wall will be reinsulated and revapor barriered. Hope this is enough information for you.
Lynn

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:56 am

yes the vent can go out through the wall but you will have to build a bulkhead or something around it to hide it in the bathroom? I would not recommend installing the fan unit in the wall because it will be a cold spot with no insulation. Are you sure there is not enough room between the underside of the roof and the top of the wall to get the 4" ducting through to the soffit area?

lynnb

Post by lynnb » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:20 am

Shannon again thanks. I thought about it being a cold spot after I had posted. I will have to get up there again today. My son that just graduated from Hvack this fall has been doing much of the grunt work and I didn't see it for myself so will be going over after I post this. He had said the house has an addition and there is a roof over the old roof , so I need to get up there myself. He had also mentioned may be done in the ceiling if we took the ceiling down , will definately have to see what he;s talking about there. I'll let you know
Lynn