bathroom exhaust fan venting/routing

Ask your bathroom related questions here
oxide

bathroom exhaust fan venting/routing

Post by oxide » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:16 pm

hey there, looking to see what the best and safest move is with this bath vent.

right now its just venting down the wall into the basement, i could rip the wall out in time to put proper ducting in it but for now is putting an elbow on the exit in the basement to outside best?

i can't go up since the wall is in between the house and the addition on the back where the bathroom/stairs go to the basement.

also, is it safe to add a stove fan exhaust to the ducting into the same line or would a back flow type device be necessary? the stove/fan is right behind where the bathroom fan is.

thanks

Shannon

Re: bathroom exhaust fan venting/routing

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:52 pm

if you can close the bottom of that cavity and add an elbow and vent to the exterior, that would be better than the way it is now. The problem with that is the wall cavity is being exposed to extreme moisture but hopefully the fan is being left on long enough to dry it out. Long term what you want is the bath fan and range hood individually vented with ducting and then vented outside. I personally prefer the bath fans in the ceiling and then vented through the attic and then out side.
Both fans can not use the same duct.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

oxide

Post by oxide » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:13 pm

ya i could only imagine whats in the wall, thats a project down the line for sure though. usualy we leave it on for 20 or so mins after the shower. seems to be good

good to know they can't use the same ducting, thank you Shannon.

Rosey

Post by Rosey » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:08 am

Shannon, I have two bathrooms back to back each with a fan; however neither is vented to the outside only to the attic. I plan to install new fans (quieter) and vent thru the roof. Can the two fans be y'ed together so only one vent is placed thru the roof?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:54 pm

Technically no because you could have the problem of one fan being on and pushing moisture back through the other fan into the other bathroom. I know they have little dampers on them but they are not always that good. I understand your thinking though ,why have two holes in the roof? If you vent them together then I would run them both right to the vent location and into some kind of Y duct that will force the air up and out of the vent right away and not down the other duct.
Another option is venting them separate but going through the gable wall of the roof (if you have a gable style roof)
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon