toilet cracked

Ask your bathroom related questions here
alvinchafe

toilet cracked

Post by alvinchafe » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi I have a hairline crack in the front of my toilet flush box it is not leaking should I replace the toilet.

Shannon

Re: Basement bathroom- tub install

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:36 pm

I would replace at least the tank ,if that is what is cracked. Chances are it will never leak but chances are it has the possibility of leaking as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Jack99

Re: toilet cracked

Post by Jack99 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:56 pm

I would replace toilet as well. If its going to split, it will happen during worst of time. re: During Sunday evening when no local hardware stores are open. And, one cannot shut off its stuck valve. Ouch!

Lesson learned:
1 - Unknown to some folks, toilets come in 3 different sizes. re: 12" (standard) from wall, 10" from wall or 14" from wall. If might be best to remove existing toilet and measure its underside drain pipe distance. Then, buy same size replacement. If you guess wrong, your toilet tank may be 2" away from its wall. Or, too short distance and need to return / re-order a different toilet model. re: http://www.millennialliving.com/files/2 ... oug-in.jpg
2 - Today's toilets come in different heights (from floor to seat lid) as well. I like higher seat models. But, family's with very young kids might light closer to ground seat distance better.
3 - Today's toilets also come in low water usage versions. Great if one's water bill is high. For septic systems & Well systems, I like using normal flow water volume models.
4 - When buying the wax ring, remember to buy the correct version. Some rings are used for spacing and some have a plastic ring. Use incorrect ring and one has a hidden / underside slow leak. re: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/D ... x_ring.jpg
5 - While replacing toilet (with appropriate new wax ring), remember to inspect (replace if needed), its shut off valve as well. I like using braided steel flex hose - instead of solid chrome or plastic supply line hose.

Hope this helps....

RICHat22

Re: Basement bathroom- tub install

Post by RICHat22 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:45 am

Shannon wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:36 pm
I would replace at least the tank ,if that is what is cracked. Chances are it will never leak but chances are it has the possibility of leaking as well.
Dragging up an old thread. :) Upon reinstalling my toilet at 3AM I was inspecting (noticed fill valve was spraying out the top gasket a touch) and found a crack inside the top tank. I guess it was already weak and the stress of peeling it off the floor opened it. Now it drips. Thank you for this info, I had no clue you could buy a tank for $34 vs a new toilet for $200. That's part of my project now today. This is why I've spent hours searching/reading the help you guys give. Soaking it up like a sponge.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:38 am

Significantly less expensive option
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:00 pm

Shannon wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:38 am
Significantly less expensive option
Update...I got to the orange store and got distracted by something shiny. They had a Glacier Bay dual flush push button with better flow rate. #1 is 1.1 and #2 is 1.6. All others were 1.28 gpm. There were complaints about low quality parts and a flapper that sits high in the tank. So instead of being aggravated with low gpm, changing out to the parts I wanted in it, plus all that cleanup, I found a better deal.

I'll take the old one to the campsite. It won't care.