Tile surround

Ask your bathroom related questions here
greatone1982

Tile surround

Post by greatone1982 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:45 am

Got a question I recently redid my bathroom, and have a question about how I did my tile surround. I put insulation in the walls because the room that the bathub adjoins to is a bedroom. I did some research and most of the people I talked to said that was fine as long as I put plastic over the insulation which I did. Then hung my concrete board, mesh taped and thin setted the joints, and put a water proofing on the concrete board. Then followed up with the thin set and tiles. When I grouted the tiles I used the grout boost so I wouldnt have to mess with the grout again. The last step was caulking the joint between the tub and tile. I recently was told that I had pretty much created a moisture sandwich, I dont know how creditable the info I got was so I figured I'd ask here, I've got some good info here in the past. Also I am getting ready to gut the room that adjoins to the bathroom so it would be a good time to take out the plastic if need be. Thanks

Shannon

Re: Tile surround

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:08 pm

I would say the plastic really was not needed, but also I do not believe that you should have any real issues the way you have done it. My only question would be if you sealed the plastic up completely like a vapour barrier? Because if you did then I would cut a few slashes in it from the other room just to let it breath if anty moisture does get through to it.

Good to hear from you again, glad you came back with your question.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

greatone1982

Re: Tile surround

Post by greatone1982 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:48 pm

Glad to hear this won't cause problems. I just overlapped the plastic and stapled it to the wall studs. I didnt tuck-tape or anything like that so it should breathe if need be. Thanks again for the quick response. I will sleep a little better tonight knowing I didnt mess up. LOL