Running toilet

Ask your bathroom related questions here
buju

Running toilet

Post by buju » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:27 am

Hi my toilet flushes but after flushing the water is constantly running into the toilet bowl. Not sure if its something I can fix or buy a new toilet?

Nthill93

Re: Running toilet

Post by Nthill93 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:28 am

Had one doing that I replaced the fill valve. It was only like 8$ and easy to do. Took about 15 minutes. The house was sitting for a while and the bowl had some rust in it.

Here’s the link https://www.homedepot.com/p/Universal-T ... /100554467

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:20 am

Check that the flapper in the bottom of the tank is not being held open by the flush chain or debris
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:25 pm

Explain a little more how it is "constantly running into the toilet bowl". It is normal during a flush as the bowl refills. If after the fill valve has closed and water continues to run, this is probably a flapper problem, check for debris, damage, blockage. Clean or replace the flapper. In extreme cases the flush valve tub can be cracked and leaking or the valve itself is leaking which will require replacement of the flush valve. This is for modern toilets.

For old toilets that still have a float ball and brass rod, the float may have sunk, so that the valve can't shut off. If this is the case, replace the float. I'd still recommend checking the other components first.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

DavidEngle

Post by DavidEngle » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:44 am

Hi, I think you have to replace the fill valve. You will find some replacement tutorial on YouTube.